So this past weekend I attemped to make Light Rolls for the very first time, it also was my first time using Yeast! Let me just tell you I had NO IDEA you could kill yeast! But of course if it can happen I accomplished it! Eric is the one that suggested I make yeast rolls because they are his favorite bread, so of course to be a good wife I wanted to learn how to make them (plus I love to cook).
Friday after I got off of work, Eric had already gone to the store for me to get all the ingredients to make these light rolls (from a recipe he found online) I wasn't really in the mood to bake after I got off of work, but figured I'd give it a try anyway.
Well when the directions said for me to mix hot water and then cold water to yeast I did like it said but it said the Yeast would start to dissolve....mine was not! But I figured it was ok that the dough would still rise...but after an hour of waiting for the dough to rise it did no such thing! So we threw that dough out and I was going to give up.
Now onto a positive thing about Facebook.....all I posted was "Yeast sucks..." and I had quite a few people respond to it. Also had someone give me her recipe for Light Rolls. So below is the recipe I received from Melody Taylor Goodwin which was a great recipe. Thanks again Melody :)
Ingredients
6-8 cups bread flour
6-8 cups bread flour
2 packages dry yeast
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs beaten
Directions
In a mixing bowl, mix 4 cups of flour with the yeast. Set aside. Pour the milk, salt, oil, and sugar into a pot, stirring to mix and place over medium heat until warm but not hot (lukewarm). Pour the milk mizture into the flour and yeast and beat until smooth. Add the eggs stirring hard to mix well (using your hands is best). One cup at a time add as much of the remaining flour as needed to form a soft dough. Put the dough on floured counter and let rise to double its original size. Knead the dough 12-15 times, until elastic to the touch. ----now this part is in my own words--- grease a baking pan with high sides. put oil or spray pam onto your hands to keep the dough from sticking. form the dough into balls about the size of a plum. let the dough rise until it doubles in size again. bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until lightly brown. this whole process is gonna take at least 2 hours, but its a crowd favorite. 







THEY'RE DONE :)
Right after they came out the oven I brushed melted butter on top of them. I think the next time I make them I'll brush the melted butter on the dough before it goes into the oven and then brush it again once it comes back out.
We also made London Broil in the crock pot to have with the Light Rolls: London Broil, Potatoes mixed with Worchestire Sauce, Italian Dressing and Beef Broth. This would of been good with some Onions and Carrots too but we had just made some Beef Stew the weekend before with all that stuff.
Please Enjoy!
Also let me know if you tried out this Light Roll recipe and if you made any changes to it or not. I will probably make it my own next time I attempt to bake these again.




1 comment:
I'm so trying it and I'll report back! Keep posting your recipes!
Post a Comment