About Me

My photo
I married my high school sweetie June 27, 2009! He is the love of my life and my best friend. We have been together since Feb. 2002 so over 10 years now! He has given me everything I could ever dream about. On October 17, 2010 we welcomed our first baby: Emma Faye! She is the best thing to ever happen to us! She lights up our lives more than she could ever know. Then we added a new addition to our family June 2012: JUNO our dog! She showed up on our doorstep and has been a perfect match for our family!

May 20, 2013

Almost a year later....Playing Catch Up!




Ok so clearly I'm not the best at keeping up with my blog, at all, but I'm going to give it another chance. Dust off the keyboard, update the look of my blog (after many attempts!) and get to typing! 

The last time I made a new entry was August of 2012!!!! Wow! That's when I was running 4-5 days a week and according to my blog I made it to Week 8, when in reality I made it to Week 12 and just didn't document it on here. I then took a break because we had gone home for a couple of weeks and lets face it, when you go on vacation your not going to keep up with your workout schedule. I went to the gym like twice while I was home! Any-who then we came back home and it was hard to get myself motivated to do it the 5 days a week so I would do it maybe 2 times and throw in Jillian Michaels dvd every so often. So I was working out a total of MAYBE 3 days a week! Slacker I know!! Then the holidays started and again lets face it your diet (or lack there of) gets thrown out the window and your workout routine (or lack there of) definitely starts to disappear. Mine completely vanished! So I ended 2012 with getting squishy and lazy, awesome duo! 

2013

January  I told myself I HAD to get back on track with my diet and exercise, obviously a very popular New Years Resolution, that often fails after about a week! Well I was doing Jillian Michaels 3-days a week and then at the end of January I started adding in a run on the treadmill. 

February I decided to do more running and stopped doing Jillian Michaels. I was running for longer periods of time to reach a 5 mile run each time. 

March I had my best run (keep in mind I'm NOT a fast runner and never claimed to be!) 5.45 miles in 63 minutes. To me that was GREAT! But then I started to hurt while I was running. My right hip was in a great deal of pain and it would take a day to recover from it. So then I started running for only 30 (or more) minutes to get a run of 2-3 miles in. I went to the doctor at the end of March to get my hip checked out and they referred me to a Physical Therapist. My physical therapy appointment wasn't for another week so I got on the treadmill a couple more times, but only to WALK at the highest incline, but quickly found out that even hurt! So I stopped working out until I went to the Physical Therapist. I go to my first appointment for the consultation where they said my hips are uneven (slightly) and that it seems I have Bursitis in the hip (there is a medical term, but I figured I'd keep it simple:
Hip bursitis is a common problem that causes pain over the outside of the upper thigh. A bursa is a fluid filled sac that allows smooth motion between two uneven surfaces. For example, in the hip, a bursa rests between the bony prominence over the outside of the hip (the greater trochanter) and the firm tendon that passed over this bone. When the bursal sac becomes inflamed, each time the tendon has to move over the bone, pain results. Because patients with hip bursitis move this tendon with each step, hip bursitis symptoms can be quite painful.

So after they figured out what the problem was they told me I would need Physical Therapy at least 2 days a week for 5 weeks! During that time I'm not allowed to workout at home, the only exercise I was going to get was the hour in a half I was there for 5 weeks. Once I started the physical therapy I noticed in the beginning there were a few exercises I would do that was a lot harder because of my hip and as the weeks went on they got easier and didn't hurt as bad! By the end I was about 90-95% myself again. But my last day of Physical Therapy ended on a Thursday and then that following Monday (May 6th) I was getting a TONSILLECTOMY...pause for a moment for the ever so popular *Gasp, "Wow, at your age its?!" or "I'd rather go through childbirth again" or "I'd rather have another C-section" yes these are the types of responses I would get when they heard I was getting my tonsils removed! So obviously I was terrified! But it had to be done!!! But that didn't give me time from the end of my Physical Therapy to my surgery date to really see if I could run again, I was nervous to try it in all honesty! So I used the excuse that my dad and his wife (and they brought my adorable Nephew Luke) were coming that Saturday-Tuesday to be there before, during and after my surgery. 

T-DAY aka Tonsillectomy day: May 6, 2013! I had to be there by 7:30 a.m. and obviously the typical prior to surgeries no eating or drinking after midnight the night before was in place. I stopped eating and drinking at 6 p.m. For my "last meal" we got a variety of bbq: chopped, brisket, ribs and sides since we had 4 adults and 2 kids it was perfect! Then my dad and Kimberly surprised me with a small birthday cake (since I would be recovering over my birthday and Mothers Day--what a way to celebrate right? ha!). So that was a nice surprise! :) Anyway so Eric drove me to the Surgical Center that morning and we waited for close to an hour in the lounge before they even brought me back to get prepped. When they do surgeries they do kids first and then adults. I had to go in the back alone.....that's when the nerves started to kick in that this was actually happening! So as I'm laying on the hospital bed in my ugly hospital gown (they wouldn't let me wear my own hospital gown...yes I have my own hospital gown that was purchased for when Emma was born-it wasn't worn until AFTER Emma was born so calm down haha). Then there was like 3 different nurses coming and prepping me and asking me all sorts of questions and one of them gave me some good meds to help calm my nerves that started working INSTANTLY it was like a wave! Anyway than its kind of blur after that. I remember them taking me into the O.R. and the doctor telling me to count back from 10 and I honestly don't even remember saying "10" haha! Next thing I knew I was in a recovery "room" I put that in quotes because the only thing separating me from the next person was a curtain and it was wide open in the front. I know I was asking for my husband and they kept telling me they will get in him in a few minutes. Then the rest of it is sort of blur, but Eric took a couple short videos of me where I'm talking about Santa Clause, Elves, North Pole and being in a Meadow Ohhh and I repeatedly asked if I could bring the Anesthesiologist home, not because he was cute because I don't even remember what he/she looked like, but because he gave me the good meds HAHA! Sooo yeah apparently I was entertaining! I also thanked everyone lots of times and kept telling them to tell the doc I said Thanks (my southern hospitality comes out even when I'm "under" haha). So during recovery Eric was asking me if I was on the nice list (yes), Emma on the nice list ("she's always on the nice list") and if Juno was on the nice list ("no") haha poor Juno! He also asked me about the elves and I told him they were my height so he of course says "so they were short" I said "no! they are my height" ha. But yeah so a North Pole visit and Meadow filled with flowers (I think sunflowers) is where I went while I was under! 

So I get home and basically go directly to the bedroom and sleep! The first day was nothing but sleep, I don't even remember if I drank anything. Eric was so good about keeping up with the meds so I'm sure I got all the meds that day and he even set an alarm in the middle of the night to give me my meds!! What an awesome hubby I have :) The second day I still did a lot of sleeping, but was more alert, but they made me stay in the bedroom. During this time Daddy and Kimberly have been getting wonderful one-on-one time with both their grand-babies Emma and Luke who are 3 months a part (exactly!) here are a few pictures from their visit:













I was soooooooo very glad and appreciate them coming to help out with Emma while I was recovering! I was able to actually go to the beach with them and go for the evening stroll :) 

As far as recovery goes, yes it IS painful, but honestly the worst of it was not as bad as I was thinking so that was AWESOME! I'm not saying it was easy because it definitely is NOT! But it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Perhaps I just worked myself up for it to be the worst and it was easier then I had pictured. Anyway I would not have been able to recover as easily as I did and still am 3 weeks later if it wasn't for my wonderful husband! He kept up with the meds during the first two weeks and I'm soooooo very grateful he did! It wasn't until about the middle of week 2 where I started venturing out of the soft food and onto "sharper" foods ha!!! I did drive for the first time a week after my surgery to my check-up appointment. Where they told me I was recovering well and that yes the headaches and earaches are normal!! But obviously super annoying! After not really eating or doing much activity for 2 weeks it really makes you weak and even the littlest household chore exhausts you such as laundry! Or Tuesday when I took Emma back to school for the first time in 2 weeks and after I dropped her off I decided to try a little light grocery shopping. I was completely exhausted before I even got back home and knew I still had to unload and put the groceries away and go back at noon to pick Emma up from school! SHEEEEWWW it was rough! But I did it and fed Emma and got her ready for her nap. I was not only mentally and physically exhausted, but my throat was hurting real bad too because I didn't want to take any of my meds while I knew I was going to be driving. Soooo once Emma was down for her nap I took (or what I thought) my pain meds. Like I said Eric had been in charge of my meds and so the pain meds I thought I took was actually the nausea meds so it didn't help me with the pain! Oh well Eric was home shortly after and got me straight! Told me to relax and don't do anything else ha! 

Well fast forward a bit......

This past Saturday (May 18, 2013) was our last full day with Eric before he left Sunday morning and won't be home for a month! His boat doesn't typically leave for this long, at most 3 days, so clearly I am not as strong for an entire month of him being away! So on Saturday we decided to go to the local Farmer's Market. This was our first time going to this Farmer's Market. It was much better than the one Emma and I went to a few months back that was just 10 minutes away!! Definitely worth the drive to the beach side of Panama City. Below are just a few pictures from that day...

YUM! Look at all that FRESH LOCAL produce!!!! Oh and some Kettle Corn haha!

Emma was watching the local fish guy filet some amberjack (I believe)

Then of course a mama and daughter photo :)

So May 19, 2013 Eric leaves the house around 6:30 a.m. and won't be back until the end of June sometime. Below is the pictures I captured of Emma giving her daddy some kisses before he left :( 

Backing it up a bit to last week, I received a belated birthday present in the mail from my sister:


Yes some of you may think this is a MEAN gift or not your typical present one gives to another, but I was SUPER EXCITED!!!! I even posted on my facebook: "Can I just say I have the BEST sister EVER!!! Or meanest however you decide to take this, I'm obviously going positive here!! This just came in the mail as a belated bday present!! I'm sooooo excited to end my recovery so I can start this!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SISTER!"

Sooooooooo here I am basically done with my recovery and getting ready to start this new, yes "insane" adventure! It also came with a meal plan to help lose weight, which is obviously what I'm going for! So I'm going to attempt that too! I told Eric before he left that my plan was to do eat healthier (which is easier when he's not home because he doesn't eat fruits or veggies...yes I just said that!) and do the insanity workout, which is 6 days a week!!!! This is what my calendar looks like until July:

Today is Day 1, which is going to be simple because I just have to do the "Fit Test" to see how many I can do in a minute of each of the 8 exercises listed below. Then I do this every other Monday. Just so I can see how I've progressed. Below is a copy of the "Fit Test"




Tomorrow morning after I drop Emma off at Preschool is when I will begin the first dvd!!!! I'm hoping to document my journey on my blog. I won't be updating the blog everyday, but hopefully at least once a week. IF by the end of of the 2 months I've lost a significant amount of weight and inches I MIGHT post my actual before and after numbers, but I am a woman sooooo don't get your hopes up haha!! :)

Stay tuned.........

No comments: